Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum

Discuss your anxiety panic attacks or depression with other Christians. Find support from other Christians who are experiencing the same thing. Find answers. Pray and encourage one another through Jesus Christ.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Statesman63
Admin
Statesman63

How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.   Empty
PostSubject: How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.    How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.   EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 am

[This is intended to be a Christian only read.]

I’m going to try to keep this short and to the point. This absolutely works to stump them every time. Their leaders will not be able to refute what I am about to share with you. I know this because I presented this argument to several Jehovah’s Witnesses, and they told me that they’ll get back with me, and that they have to take it to their leaders to give them the response they should give me; and each time, they were told that they did not have an answer and their leader told them to end all conversations with me. In fact, one time their leader gave them this verse to give to me—Titus 3:10 “Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him.” And then they abruptly end all further discussions with me.

That’s not fair. They try their best to convince us (Christians) that our bible and faith are wrong, and they are so confident they have it right, but when they get stumped, they don’t want to look further into it to get the real truth. And the message they are portraying by giving me this verse is that Satan won the argument. How can Satan win against the godly using God’s word to do it? Why not look further into it for yourselves? If their leaders get stumped, they tell the Jehovah’s Witness to not look into it anymore. Most Jehovah’s Witnesses who come to us don’t know that that is the end outcome if they get stumped by us. They don’t expect to get stumped by us. So my suggestion to you if you do decide to have this discussion with them is to anticipate this end outcome and use tact to avoid it going that far. When they first sit down with us, they usually say something like, “I know that you have been a Christian for many years and have learned from your parents and your church about the Trinity. But please have an open mind because what I am going to show you will go against everything you learned. It will go against what your pastor told you in Church. But isn’t it more important to you to get to the truth than to continue following tradition even if your parents and pastor were wrong with what they were telling you your whole life? The truth of God should be above everyone else, so please give what I am about to tell you sincere consideration.”

That is their normal pitch when they first sit down to talk to you. But since the outcome will be the other way around (you will stump them) then this is your important opportunity to say, “Okay, I agree. So let me offer you the same suggestion you offered me. Please truly consider, for the truth of God that if I show you that you are wrong, that you will look into it and conform to the truth even though it goes against what your leaders have told you. I will agree to change or look more into it, if you stump me, if you too agree to change or look more into Christianity if I stump you with what I have to say. That way, you might prevent that end outcome when their leaders tell them to just brush you off. There is too much time involved with talking to them, to waste your time.

Okay, in order to stump them, you will need a copy of their version of the bible. It is called “The New World Translation.” This is their universal single bible that they go by. It is a truly flawed translation of the Scriptures. I’m not going to get into the history of it pointing out why it is flawed unless someone asks me to. But basically, all the verses in the Christian bible that shows that Jesus is God, has been altered in their bible to say that he is inferior to God and is not God at all. Here is one example: John 1:1. Christians, you know this verse, but here it is in their edition: “In [the] beginning the Word was God, and the Word was a god.”

That is an absolute treachery to the Greek texts. They say “a god”? And they lowercased the word “god” on top of that. The word “a” really does not exist in the Greek language. The word “God” is listed twice in this verse, and it is true that there is a little difference in the Greek construction of the word from the first time it says “God” to the second. A Greek study bible will show you the construction of each word. In a Greek study bible, on top of the first “God” in this verse is the construction “art/nn”. And on top of the second “God” word is the construction “pr/an, nn.” These are grammatical notations. “Art” stands for “definite article.” “Nn” stands for noun. “Pr” stands for predicate. “An” stands for anarthrous (this is unique to the Greek language). So in the verse: In the beginning the Word was God, and the Word was a god, the first “God” in Greek, the construction of the word is a definite article, and a noun. The second “god” in the Greek for this verse is a pronoun, anarthrous, and a noun. Okay, we know what definite articles and nouns are so I don’t have to define those. But “anarthrous” is unique to the Greek language; and it [Quoting my Greek study bible]:

“refers to a word or group of words which appear without a definite article (ho, he, tó). Greek has no indefinite article, “a” or “an” in English. Sometimes it is best to translate an anarthorous word by supplying “a” or “an” before it. In fact, due to reasons of English style or Greek idiom, the word “the” is even an appropriate translation in some cases. However, there are many times when supplying an article would be incorrect. Anarthrous constructions are most often intended to point out the quality of something. [they quote a sentence in Greek] “Wherefore, seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses.” Heb. 12:1.” [The “a cloud” here is an anarthrous.]

What all of this means is that an anarthorous emphasizes the word, and does not take quality away from it. Look at the example my Greek dictionary gave. It is emphasizing that it is a cloud. But the translators of the New World Bible have used the Greek construction the wrong way, to take away quality from the object it is referring to—and that is erroneous. In fact, the earliest Greek manuscripts were written in all capital letters, (and without punctuation.) So it is up to the translators to decide whether or not to capitalize or lowercase a word, so their lowercasing “god” here means nothing. Furthermore, going back to that verse in John, and referring to the construction of the second word “god,” it is the same construction as “God” in verses 6, 12, 13, and 18. All of those words “God” are all anarthrous too. Hmmm…The New World does not lowercase those “God”s.

Well that explains John 1:1. It is complicated, but I hope you were able to follow me there. But that is not the stumper. Sorry for the wait. Here is the stumper. For this you have to have a New World translation. If you pretend you are interested, they will give you a free bible upon request. Have them go to 1 Corinthians 8:6. First, I’ll quote it from the NIV: “yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.”

Now Jehovah’s Witnesses (JW) use this verse against Christians. They say, “You see, it says that there is just one God, and it says that He is the Father, and it distinguished God from Jesus, who is only called Lord.” That might be a persuasive argument to young Christians. They go on to say that “God the Father is the one FROM whom all things came as opposed to the Son where He is THROUGH whom all things came. Colossians 1:15-16 shows that that is not the correct interpretation. Let me quote Colossians from their bible and I’ll put in all caps my point,

“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation: because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and FOR HIM.”

Of course they add in brackets “other” to imply that God himself was not created. Also, the Christian bible for the last sentence reads, “All things have been created by him and for him.” They say “through him” but we both agree on “for Him.” It seems to me that the translators missed changing “for him” to something else because if all of creation was created for Jesus, that would make Jesus God because Jesus is getting all the glory, and God does not share His glory with anyone but himself (cf. Isaiah 48:11). Also, why don’t we simply read the entire passage in 1 Corinthians 8:6 to see what it is talking about? The next verse, verse 7 gives the point of the text—“But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.” And here is the verse before our verse at hand, verse 5, “For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords.” Please take time now to read verses 4-8 to yourselves……….This passage is comparing pagan gods, which have food sacrificed to them by pagan people, to the one God (Father and Son). The way JW reads this and interprets it, they are placing Jesus with the pagan gods that this passage is talking about---a completely false interpretation!

Those are all arguments you can go back and forth with but when you are through discussing that, the stumper is this: now point out to them the Greek word for “God” and the Greek word for “Lord.” You will need a Greek to English/English to Greek bible to do this. JWs study from these Greek to English bibles too, so they may have one. Show them that the Greek word for God is “Theós.” And the Greek word for “Lord” is “Kúrios.” Now tell them that everywhere in their New World Translation that wherever they have the name “Jehovah” (except when it is a quote from the Old Testament), the Greek word is “Kúrios.” “Jehovah” is listed many, many times in the New Testament of the New World, but it is always the word Kúrios. Kúrios then refers to Jesus Christ, not Father Jehovah, except for the places where it is a direct quote from the OT because the OT is a different language altogether: Hebrew.

So 1 Corinthians 8:6 really reads: “yet for us there is but one Theós, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Kúrios, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.”

So there is but one Kúrios, hey? And that would be Jesus, hey? Then why are they translating the Greek word Kúrios to “Jehovah” throughout the New Testament then? Because they want to take away the divine attributes of Jesus. They would rather give those attributes to the Father and diminish Jesus. They have no answer to that, and neither do their leaders. But use it with tact and caution or otherwise you’ll be wasting your time when they shun you away for lack of a response.
Back to top Go down
https://christian-anxiety.forumotion.com
dear child

dear child

PostSubject: Re: How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.    How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.   EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am

Dear Statesman,

as you know that I have been a JW myself, I might say that you put quite an effort in proving the Watchtower wrong in their teaching. Thank you for encouraging others to tactfully show my former fellow believers the real truth about Jesus. You know, most of them really try to do God's will and are convinced that sacrificing their whole life to obedience to the Governing Body of the Watchtower (a couple of men in the headquarters in Brooklyn, New York) would be the way to salvation.
Most JWs are very humble, they do not intend to deceive Christians. Rather they have been told over and over again that they must try to save the lives of non-JWs by convincing them that only the Watchtower-people live in the truth.
So please don't treat them unrespectfully. Surely they are used to rejection at the doors, but many (really many) suffer from deep depression caused by the highly controlling methods of their religion.

Regarding the John1:1 example - yes you reasoned correctly. The Greek grammar is not applied correctly in the New World Translation. Interesting that in the Greek publications of the Watchtower these article-argument is never used, because the native Greek speakers would certainly not approve it. In the Greek publication it s simply reasoned, that God first is written with a capital letter, whereas the second time with a small "g". Nonsense of course, as you stated yourself that the original text was written totally in capital letters. lol!

There are so many more arguments which are important to show them. If you are interested I could write about some later.

Love, dear child
Back to top Go down
Statesman63
Admin
Statesman63

PostSubject: Re: How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.    How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.   EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:56 pm

I would love for you to share some of your arguments. I know what I wrote was no where near exhaustive, but it was just the things that I found that I didn't hear anyone else point out before.
Back to top Go down
https://christian-anxiety.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.    How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.   Empty

Back to top Go down

How to refute Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum :: Biblical Questions and Answers-
Jump to: