Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Christian Anxiety & Depression Forum

Discuss your anxiety panic attacks or depression with other Christians. Find support from other Christians who are experiencing the same thing. Find answers. Pray and encourage one another through Jesus Christ.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So glad I found this site!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tychicus

So glad I found this site! Empty
PostSubject: So glad I found this site!   So glad I found this site! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Greetings everyone! I am so glad I happened to find this site! I stumbled onto it while looking for something else. I first began having panic attacks around 1989, when I was 23. Still dealing with them now at age 46. There have often been periods of time where I would have no attacks, but then they return again at some point. I have never talked with anyone about these attacks, although my family knows I have episodes of panic at times. I have never discussed them with a pastor, church leader, or anyone else. I have always been too embarrassed to do so. Having been a Christian since 1981, I know full well that perfect love casts out fear, that the peace of God is available to us, the incomparably great power of God toward those who believe, yet I still have these episodes. In 1990 I was such a mess that my parents took me to a psychiatrist and he put me in a psychiatric hospital for three weeks. He put me on Navane to correct what were described as "racing thoughts." The navane never corrected the jumbled thoughts, but they finally went away on their own after I quit taking the drug.

I have often had these panic attacks just getting onto an interstate on ramp. I would get so fretful and nervous I would sometimes have to pull over or get off at the nearest exit. Twice - once in 1994 and again in 2008 - I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Turned out I was not, but I just got worried since heart disease runs in my family. Most recently I have developed panic attacks being afraid of chemical poisoning. I bought a new mattress pad for my bed and noticed it had a horribly strong chemical odor. I washed it three times and the chemicals did not seem to wash out at all. (Someone told me they are likely infused into the fibers to supposedly make them flame retardant) I started to stretch the pad out over my bed - it was giving me a horrible headache. No way I could sleep on that, so I wrapped it up and returned it to the store. I read that is bedding is treated with heavy metals like antimony and feared I was poisoned by it. To make matters worse, my old car broke down shortly after that on the highway and could not afford repairs/towing, so I sold it to a salvage dealer who hauled it away for free. Now I just walk or take the bus. Well, I started to notice a tingling or twitching in my hands and feet. I was afraid I had nerve damage from the treated mattress pad made in China. The tingling would be intermittent, not all the time. I was experiencing these symptoms when I read that others on this site say they experience a tingling or numb feeling in the extremities. My symptoms suddenly improved at that point! I will have this checked out by the doctor just to rule out any physical cause. Chemicals do scare me, though. I try to eat organic food whenever possible and avoid processed foods, and try to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Helps me feel better.

I read something on here about how having faith means believing the truth of God's word even when it does not seem true. When I am in the middle of a panic attack, it may not seem like perfect love casts out fear, or that nothing can separate us from the love of God. But these things are still true. I am learning to hold fast to these truths despite the situation I am going through.

Back to top Go down
Statesman63
Admin
Statesman63

PostSubject: Re: So glad I found this site!   So glad I found this site! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Welcome to the site. I'm glad this site is able to help you. I know how embarrassing anxiety can be, but I learned relatively recently that the best thing to do is to talk about it with others. For my situation, when I have (yeah, I still have some sometimes) panic attacks, it affects the way I walk making me uncoordinated and awkward. That's embarrassing in itself. I realized that it is less embarrassing when others know why I am walking that way because on most occasions I don't walk that way. So I'd rather them ask me what is wrong, and I will gladly tell them without embarrassment that I have what psychiatrists call anxiety panic disorder, which they attribute to brain chemical imbalances, but what God calls a spiritual warfare because He says that our battle is not flesh and blood, but demonic one (and we know that He empowers us to be overcomers).

I posted about "perfect love" on this site a while back, but I am currently rewriting it completely and will be posting it soon. I hope it strengthens and empowers you because that is a great promise from God: perfect love casts out fear. It will be in the blog section when I'm done.
Back to top Go down
https://christian-anxiety.forumotion.com
Tychicus

PostSubject: Re: So glad I found this site!   So glad I found this site! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks so much, Statesman, for your kind and encouraging words! This has helped me to see the value in talking about this issue with others, difficult as that may be to do sometimes. I look forward to your new blog post about perfect love casting out fear. Peace in Christ!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So glad I found this site!   So glad I found this site! Empty

Back to top Go down

So glad I found this site!
Page 1 of 1